Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Together Forever By: Hermana Haslam

 I think of my family a lot, as I'm sure you do too. I especially think of them around this time of year: Christmas time! A time when families get together to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Everyone has their way of celebrating. My family has many: exchanging gifts among the siblings, acting out the nativity ( in which my dad always plays the donkey), doing the twelve days of Christmas, or the jar we fill with coins all year long and then give it to someone in need at Christmas time. Each of these traditions help us to remember the true meaning of Christmas and become united as a family. Being on a mission makes me unable to participate in these traditions this year. Being far from my family is not easy, but if there's one thing that brings me peace, it's the knowledge i have that we are sealed together as a family for eternity. My best and most memorable Christmas was last year. I got what I consider the best Christmas present ever! I got to be with my family in the celestial room of the temple. I've never felt such joy as i did that day. To walk in that beautiful, peaceful room and see all my family there was an experiance beyond words. If I were to try to describe it I'd have to say " Eternal Joy". It brings me eternal joy to know that my family is worthy and willing to be in the temple together. It's one of the things I'm most grateful for and that's really why I'm on a mission. I know what joy the Gospel of Jesus Christ has brought my family and I want to share that with others. I want others to  feel that eternal joy I felt that day in the temple. Families are so important. They are central to God's plan of happiness. This is a time of family Christmas parties, buying gifts for the great aunt, and baking the cookies for the kids to leave for Santa. But let us also remember it's the time to read of Christ's birth as a family, to pray and give thanks for His life and atonement, to sing hymns of praise to our Lord and Saviour. Let us also remember that uniting the family in celebration of the Savior should happen all year long.
   Daily prayer and scripture study, attending church and the temple; those are the things that will unite and strenghthen our families not only for the moment, but also for the eterneties. I am so grateful for my family. I love them so much. I'm greatful that I am able to live with them for ever. I'm grateful that, just as this picture shows, we are able to go to the House of the Lord together and grow closer to our Savior together. I'm grateful for Jesus Christ, His birth, His life, His atonement, and His resurrection. Through Him our families can be together not just at Chritmas time, but they can be TOGETHER FOREVER!

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful for my family and that they raised me in the gospel. Getting to be with them forever is the greatest gift I could have ever dreamed of.

    ReplyDelete