Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee

This is a song that is adapted from one of my favorite scripture stories. The prophet Joseph Smith was imprisoned unjustly, living in the worst conditions imaginable, and unable to help his family and friends that were being persecuted. I can imagine him alone in the mist of darkness and enemies; praying profusely for the welfare of his dear family and loved ones. In the mist of praying he says "Oh God where are thou? "

   We all have times in which we feel alone and with no where to turn for peace. I remember a few times before embarking on a mission, where I felt burdened by my circumstances and like I no longer could carry on. It seemed to me that I was doing all that I could do, but it just seemed to never be enough. I kept hearing that God doesn't give us anything we couldn't handle... but it seemed to just bounce off me. Until one day I could no longer take it. I was humbled and for the first time in a long time, I poured out my heart to the Lord. Even though I knew that God had known my troubles all along, I felt the need to tell him everything. My heart cried out for his companionship and for answers. As I finished my prayer, I remained unmoved and realized that I now had peace. I didn't receive a solution in that precise moment, but I was overwhelmed  by the Spirit bringing peace and comfort to my heart.
   The Lord said to Joseph Smith,
       " My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands."
...9  Therefore, hold on thy way, .... Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

  I know that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us and that He is aware of us, especially in our times of need. I know that He has His hands outstretched for us and as we come unto Him.  He will uplift our burdens and give us the strength to keep holding on.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite scriptures. I find that, when enduring a trial, it helps to keep the eternal perspective. When we realize just how short our time on earth is, and how great God is, we realize that we can endure anything with His help. He is always there for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know how many times I have read those scriptures, yet every time I do the spirit speaks and comforts me in my time of need! I love the spirit! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete