Friday, October 29, 2010

The Book of Mormon: A Direct course to Eternal Bliss

One of my favorite scriptures in the Book of Mormon is in Alma. The prophet Alma was commanded to keep a sacred record of his people and their dealings with the Lord. Near the end of his life he gave this book to his eldest son, Helaman. Alma explained to Helaman the importance of this sacred scripture. Along with the ancient record Alma gave his son the Liahona, which is a compass that was made by the hand of the Lord. The Liahona was used, by Lehi's family, to guide the path to the promised land. (They are the first family in the Book of Mormon. You can read all about them on this link: http://new.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne?lang=eng). The Liahona only worked based upon the people's faith and willingness to obey God's commandments. Alma explained to Helaman that the compass was like the words of Christ.
44 For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point unto them a straight course to the promised land.
45 And now I say, is there not a type in this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise.
I think that we all need a Liahona. We all need a compass to lead us away from sadness and confusion. The Book of Mormon has been everything to me. It brings me peace and comfort as I read it in times of strife. It has guided and continues to guide my life. I know that all I have in my life is because of the truthfulness of this book. "It puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation, and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come." (Introduction page to the Book of Mormon. http://new.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/introduction?lang=eng) I know that I want to live with God one day and that I want to stand spotless before Him and know that I have done all that I can possibly do. Thanks to the Book of Mormon I know how I can.

To learn more go to http://mormon.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment